Friday, June 10, 2011

Mango Magic

So you all know that moment when you suddenly have guests arriving and have no idea what to do for dessert? I faced that tonight and found the perfect solution! Make my version of a scrumptious mango and banana pudding which can be prepared in just 20 minutes.


The only ingredients you need are:


Fresh mango
Sweet condensed milk
Ricotta cheese 
Lemon
Bananas and milk (my addition)


Peel and slice the mangoes, add sliced bananas, ricotta cheese, lemon (lots of it!) and sweet condensed milk. I found that the mixture was difficult to blend in my Vitamix, so I added some milk. This helped the consistency and made it easier to blend the mixture.


For exact measurements, you can use the recipe below. I don't use measurements but just keep tasting the mixture until it seems to have the right balance of flavors. I added a lot more lemon than in the recipe as I felt the tang of the lemon balanced out the sweetness of the mango beautifully.


The bananas helped to reduce the strong taste of ricotta. I guess this would probably depend on the kind of ricotta cheese available to you and whether you personally like a more cheesy taste.


Just blend the mixture for about 3-4 minutes until it is smooth and has no lumps. Spoon it into pretty glasses and decorate with a sprig of mint!


That's it. All you need to do now is chill it for about 2 hours and you're all set! :)


The original recipe is here:


http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Dessert/Cheese/recipe.html?dishid=11028

This was my first time using ricotta cheese in a recipe and I am amazed at how easy it is to make yummy desserts! I guess one could try several variations using ricotta such as coffee and chocolate pudding, other fruit puddings (I'm thinking strawberry?) ..... Let me know if any of you try variations and how they turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment